Some of the best movies I’ve ever seen. To some extent I’ve sorted it according to my likings, but it was very difficult.
1) Artificial Intelligence (2001) : The Best Movie I saw yet. I simply like everything about it. The quest of a humanoid for becoming real, poor guy doesn’t know he’s already real.The movie tries to convey this : Its difficult to distinguish between a robot and a human, once they’ve attained the same intelligence as humans. Because then they can think, dream, talk, love, hate, cry & feel just like humans do and that makes them real, not necessarily a mixture of flesh and bones.
2) The Shawshank Redemption (1994) : A movie worth watching. Makes you realize one thing – No matter what happens, how worse your life is going, what problems you have, but NEVER EVER lose your HOPE. But don’t hope that someone will come and take your problems away. Only you can do that. The Anti-Problems formula : HOPE + HARDWORK = SUCCESS.
3) The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (2005) : A must watch. Makes you laugh, smile and wonder at the same time. It explains everything, from the Ultimate Question – “The Creation of the Universe” to the “Infinite Improbability Drive”. You’ll wonder what if things really happened the way like that. The movie starts with Earth destroyed in an instant, and ends up with a new “Backup” Earth. You can imagine the rest, just ” DONT PANIC ” 😉
4) The Last Samurai (2003) : The creation of Japan and the destruction of the Elite Samurai. Tom Cruise, a U.S. Soldier who was assigned to destroy the Samurai, finally ends up being one of them. A very beautiful story, and such a great plot. You’ll feel the movie is slow at the beginning but wait for the first few minutes and let Japan arrive. I became a fan of Tom Cruise from this movie, not MI.
5) A Beautiful Mind (2001) : Based on the real life of Professor John Nash – inventor of Game Theory and other theories that relates to the happenings of events in your daily life. He was suffering with a mental disease called schizophrenia. He has an imaginary world that is so real to him. The movie is true to the word, he really does have “A Beautiful Mind”. The life of a genius, struggling with a dangerous mental state. You can’t miss that.
6) Batman Begins (2005) : The only superhero story I actually liked. Was fed up of Spiderman, Superman, and other unreal ones. Batman is of a special kind. He ain’t got any extraordinary or “gifted” powers. He did it all by himself unlike others. And so he is more close to reality. The movie direction, story, characters, everything about it was so awesome. Really no superhero freak should miss that !
7) Perfume : The Story of A Murderer (2006) : A classic movie and very entertaining. The story of a man with extraordinary smelling sense, who starts his quest for the recipe for the ultimate perfume, which can make humans feel they are in heaven and lose all sense of reality. He finally finds the recipe, but unfortunately its nothing but a mixture female skin. So he has to become a murderer. Quite disturbing, but yeah, entertaining!
8) The Boy in the Stripped Pyajamas (2008) : A movie about a 9 year old german boy whose father worked in a Nazi Death Camp. His friendship with a Jew kid of the camp ultimately proves fatal to him. A movie showing the plight of the Nazi Death Camps and how a father loses his son in the same chamber with the same Jews he used to burn. Hitler supporters : See it, and you’ll change !
9) Man From The Earth (2007) : What If God Is A Normal Human ? The movie has nothing but few men and women professors, sitting in sofas and talking. No its not a documentary. Just start listening to them once, and you’ll understand. And its not just the talk (its real) and there’s more that’ll make your mouth wide open. A must see if you’re an Atheist/Agnostic. A strict NO-NO for believers.
10) The Fountain (2006) : An abstract movie. Birth and Death of humans, compared to creation and destruction of stars, compared to the Life span of a tree. I still wonder who thought of it. A very enlightening idea. But the movie requires deep thinking, mind it, very deep. So make your choice. Many of my friends were disappointed, but those who thought about it, liked it a lot.
Those were the top 10. Below are in my top 25 or so.
Superhero : Batman Begins, Batman The Dark Knight, X-Men Origins : Wolverine, X-Men : The Last Stand
Sentimental : Bridge to Terabithia, A Walk to Remember, If Only, The Kite Runner
Entertaining : The Count of Monte Cristo, Twilight, I-Robot, The Kingdom
Action : The Matrix Trilogy, Bourne Series, Black Hawn Down, Terminator 2 & 3
Comedy : Ice Age 1 & 2, Ace Ventura : The Pet Detective, Hera Pheri, Hangama